- Bongkrekic Acid
- Flavotoxin A
- (6R,17S)-20-(carboxymethyl)-6-methoxy-2,5,17-trimethyldocosa-2,4,8,10,14,18,20-heptaenedioic acid
Bongkrek acid is a respiratory toxin produced by Burkholderia gladioli (aka Pseudomonas marginata). It may cause human deaths by contaminating certain far-east foods based on fermented coconut.
- Solubility in Water: ~ 1 mg/ml
- Solubility Notes: ~100 mg/ml in DMSO
- Chemical classification:
- Polyunsaturated tricarboxylic acid
- Glutathione transferase inhibitor
- ATP/ADP translocase inhibitor
Bongcrekic acid is an inhibitor of adenine nucleotide translocator, which inhibits apoptosis, and is thus an important tool for the mechanistic investigation of apoptosis.